We are really not an association of retired people. If we were, no one would want to join because everyone is too busy working, not retiring.
What we are is an association of older people who want to explore two things:
- What have we learned that is important to pass on to future generations?
- What do we need to know to make the second half of our lives happier, healthier, and more productive?
While exploring the two above questions, we examine other questions that have consumed the human intellect for thousands of years. The format we use is to ask the question and then rely on members to share what they have learned to answer the question, or to ask further questions. Our objective is to provide enough information that members can arrive at a functional level of understanding, a kind of comfort level, that they are happy with their own lives and relate well to other human beings within their sphere of influence. In our common English language, we call it “getting along.”
It has been said that there is “nothing new under the sun,” as famously recorded in Ecclesiastes 1:9.
Is that a true statement, that there is nothing new under the sun? What constitutes truth? What is the difference between knowledge and belief? Is there any difference? What constitutes an appeal to textural authority? What is an author?
U.S. Americans are encouraged by our founders to enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- What is life? That may seem rather obvious but where did life come from and what is required to sustain life?
- What is liberty? Everybody wants it but most don’t know what it is. Does being unconstrained constitute liberty? Does believing in liberty make you a libertarian?
- Why is happiness so elusive for so many people?
Join with us to explore these important ideas and help other people, young and old, learn ideas that make their lives better.